Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

In signing up for this Lenten meditation, I selected April 5th as it is my daughter's, my firstborn's, birthday.  Surely God would have some joyous words in her honor.  Boy was I wrong!  

First Jeremiah extols the rewards of keeping the Sabbath and warns of the consequences of not doing so.  Keeping the Sabbath to Jeremiah demands not doing any work, suppressing any burdens, and observing a day of rest as the commandment states.  The reward is a life of great joy.  The penalty for failure is destruction of the good life.  In my entire life, I have never strictly kept the Sabbath nor have I taught this to my children.  Parts of some days I have set aside for the Lord, but a whole day and weekly NEVER.  How sinful am I?  Is my life a mirror of destructive living? To my knowledge God has not punished me for my sinfulness (well perhaps on occasion).
 
I turned to St. Paul hoping for some positive feedback.  Ouch!  He further reminds me of my sinfulness: For I know that nothing good dwells in me...I can will what is right, but I cannot do it...I serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.  No wonder I cannot follow the Sabbath commandment.  Can I blame my inability to follow a simply stated commandment, Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy, on my body's dominance over my mind.  Each day I devote a good hour to keeping my body fit, but maybe my sin is that I am not exercising my mind into better spirtiual shape.  I must resolve to make God my athletic trainer to increase my spiritual fitness. Surely I can begin with an additional hour on the Sabbath.  
 
St. John confirmed the power of this resolution reminding me that I am laboring for the food that perishes, my sinful body, rather than the food which endures to eternal life, my spiritual mind.
 
As for joyous words on this 28th birthday, the Lord did not disappoint me.  The Psalms exude words of joy and hope: Be joyful in the Lord...serve the Lord with gladness...his mercy is everlasting.(100) The Lord is King, let the earth rejoice(97), Come let us sing to the Lord; let us shout for joy to the Rock of our salvation(95), and finally, My foot has slipped, your love, Oh Lord, upheld me (94). 
 
As I attempt my first spiritual fitness workout, I may ask my daughter to join me.
 
Jan Moran    

No comments:

Post a Comment