Thursday, February 23, 2012

Thursday, February 23, 2012


My husband and I are one of those couples that come to the Episcopal Church as a result of a “mixed marriage.”  I was brought up in the Congregational Church, with services steeped in the austerity and simplicity of the early New England settlers and church politics and policy endowed with quite a liberal, open philosophy.  Phil was raised in a big Irish Catholic family, with all the ceremony and tradition that that entails. Until meeting me he had very little exposure to any Christian denomination other than his own.  

When we decided to get married we met with both a U.C.C. minister and a Catholic priest (who jointly performed our wedding), but we both felt we needed to find a new path that was comfortable for both of us.  Happily we have found that at St. Francis.  There are still times, of course, when the disparity between our religious backgrounds becomes very clear, and none more so than the season of Lent.  (Christmas is easy; the story is not too confusing and the hymns are the same.)

I know we acknowledged Lent at my Congregational church; the gilt side of the cross above the altar was turned around, the minister wore his purple stole, and the scripture readings and Sunday School lessons progressed accordingly. We had Palm Sunday and Maundy Thursday (my favorite service of the whole year); I usually spent Good Friday baking and decorating eggs with my mother, listening to the “Godspell” and “Jesus Christ Superstar” soundtracks; and that brought us up to Easter Sunday quite tidily.  But for my Catholic friends, and my Catholic in-laws, these 40 days seem to matter more than the whole rest of the year; it’s a journey of prayer and penitence and self-denial that culminates in a week-long retelling of  “the greatest story ever told.”  And I am left to wonder, who is doing it right?

The good news is, we all are.  Psalm 37 (billed in my Bible as a Wisdom Psalm on “the certainty of retribution for the wicked”) recognizes the ongoing struggle of the righteous and faithful.  The psalm encourages patience and perseverance in the face of apparent triumph by the wicked: 

“our steps are made firm by the Lord,
when he delights in our way;
though we stumble, we shall not fall headlong,
for the Lord holds us by the hand.”

The road to salvation is a never-ending process; as Yogi Berra would say “it ain’t over till it’s over.”

This sentiment is echoed in Paul’s letter to the Philippians.  Paul admits that he is not there yet either, “but I press on.”  He argues that just because God has given the gift of righteousness we are still obligated to work hard to deserve it.  Like the Psalm, Paul acknowledges that each of us is a work in progress, struggling to attain the “prize of the heavenly call of God.”  

As I worked through these readings, I kept thinking to myself that nobody is perfect, and no one way to God can be the one right way.  We all have to find our own path.  But then I came to the Gospel reading, and remembered that there was one man who did know the way all along, and He is also our Way, whether we are Catholic or Protestant.  In John 17, Jesus seems weary and ready to take the next step on his journey, but even in his remaining hours he is praying for his followers to continue following him.

I confess that I still scratch my head about “giving something up” for Lent, and the whole no-meat-on-Fridays thing, but I am now able to see Lent as more than the story of the last days of Christ: it is a period of preparation, repentance and renewal. And no road is the perfect road; what matters is that we’re trying.  

(Leigh King)     

No comments:

Post a Comment