Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Tuesday, February 28, 2012


I have long been familiar with the idea that God loves us all equally, no matter what our strengths or weaknesses are. I have grown up being told this, but it wasn’t until recently that it finally sunk in and had some real meaning for me.

Last year, I found myself working on Youth Led Services. We had chosen to use Shrek as the theme and one of the readings for that Sunday was 1 Corinthians 1:26-31. We reworded the reading so that Fiona spoke Paul’s words to all the fairytale creatures. In the service, I acted the part of Fiona and I was the one who delivered the reading. As I spoke to the congregation about the workings of God, I had a profound feeling of purpose. I was speaking to myself as much as to my audience. This was the first time in my life in which it was clear to me exactly what it meant that God loves us unconditionally. 

Since then I have become increasingly involved in the church and have seen God’s love at work: from the members of the mission committee doing their best to help others, to preschoolers so full of innocence and curiosity about the world around them. We are all created in God’s image. We each reflect unique gifts from God.  We need only to open our hearts to see.

(Jacqueline G)

No comments:

Post a Comment