Wednesday, April 16, 2014

April 16, 2014


“10Anyone whom you forgive, I also forgive. What I have forgiven, if I have forgiven anything, has been for your sake in the presence of Christ.  11And we do this so that we may not be outwitted by Satan; for we are not ignorant of his designs.” 2 Corinthians 1:23-2:11

The Epistle reading appointed for today gives us a message of forgiveness, but it is surrounded by readings that focus on punishment and vengeance.  There is a plea for vengeance in the Psalms (“you, O God, will cast them down into the lowest pit; the bloodthirsty and treacherous shall not live out half their days. - Psalm 55:23) and a reaction to vengeance in Lamentations (5 “The Lord has become like an enemy; he has destroyed Israel.  He has destroyed all its palaces, laid in ruins its strongholds, and multiplied in daughter Judah mourning and lamentation.”)  God’s vengeance and punishment is directed not only to the enemies of Israel but also to the nation of Israel when it had gone astray.  This same vengeance characterizes the “owner of the vineyard” when the tenants kill his heir in Mark’s Gospel.  He destroys them and gives the vineyard to others – (Mark 12:9).  The vineyard owner is using the “tough love” that Israel experienced back in the Exile and it is time for mourning and lamentation. 

The powerless heir is the most troubling part of this parable for me.  He is simply a silent victim.  The tenants recognize him, seize him, kill him, and throw him out of the vineyard.  So how does the rejected stone become the cornerstone? 

Look now to 2Corinthians, verse 10 – “What I have forgiven, if I have forgiven anything, has been for your sake in the presence of Christ.” 

Paul is drawing on his imitation of Christ in order to practice forgiveness.  He didn’t get that example of forgiveness from the vineyard owner or his heir.  And he certainly didn’t get it from Psalm 55 or Lamentations.  When we (and Paul) reflect on the story of the tenants in the vineyard, we see the crucified Christ.  We know that the heir was mostly silent when he was seized and killed, but not altogether silent.  He spoke some of the most moving words of forgiveness that we will ever hear:  “Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing.”  (Luke 23:34).  The heir had lived among the tenants for a while, and he knew the hold that death and fear had on their lives.  He understood them and he had compassion for them.

11”And we do this so that we may not be outwitted by Satan; for we are not ignorant of his designs.”

How frustrating our own stubbornness is to us.  How exasperating it is when we respond to our fears by lashing out at others.  I’m insecure, so I attack.  Where is Christ’s presence in that?  I’m afraid there is more “Satan” than “Christ” in that design, and I am easily and often outwitted by it.  Jesus knew this.  He lived with it.  He saw the power that fear has over us and how strong that presence is in our world.  And he tells us again and again, “Do not be afraid.” 

~Sue Bastardo 





No comments:

Post a Comment