Wednesday, April 2, 2014

April 2, 2014

Genesis 50:15-26 1 Corinthians 12:1-11 Mark 8:11-26
During Lent other subscribers and I are receiving emails with a short videotape from the Episcopal monastery in Cambridge Massachusetts, home of the Society of St. John the Evangelist.

Recently one of the videotaped meditations was done by one of the youngest members of the community. I recognized him and his name. A while ago when I was at the monastery for retreat one of the meals was a “talking meal” rather than a silent one. This young monk was sitting next to me. After we had introduced ourselves to one another and had some conversation - what people call “small talk” - he asked me a question. “What's going on in your life right now where you can see something life-giving, something of the Spirit of God?”
    
At first I was startled since we were moving quickly from what's your name kind of questions to this deeper one. Gradually I realized that his question was a gift. It prompted me to take a closer look at my life. I shared with him some of the life-giving aspects of my life at that time.
    
The other day when I saw that same young monk giving a videotaped Lenten reflection, I remembered that conversation and his question.

I thought of him again today when I was looking at the readings for April 2 and read in 1 Corinthians 12:7 - "To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good."
   
I asked myself where I had seen the manifestation of the Spirit through the members of St. Francis and of Bethany Lutheran Church in Orange where I supply every Sunday.
  
In whom had I seen the manifestation of the Spirit of God in those communities and in what ways? People and their particular gifts came to mind. I saw not just them and their gifts but also God at work in them.
   
Every Sunday in the creed I profess my faith in the Holy Spirit and in the communion of saints.   
I had seen that Spirit of God in those people, in those gifted saints who came to my mind.   
I knew through my experience the mystery of Incarnation - God taking on human flesh.


- The Rev. Janice Schuyler

No comments:

Post a Comment