Saturday, March 19, 2011

Saturday, March 19, 2011

What is it all about for me in the Lenten Season?  I ponder this question as I sit with the daily reading for today.  Is it about putting the words of God in my soul and “writing” them on my heart?  I think so – but that is a daunting proposition for someone such as me. Here in the twenty-first century our minds are busy with words, processing up to 60,000 thoughts in an average day. It’s easy for me to get desensitized and complacent, and to give the superficial answer when circumstance is asking me to live out my faith.  Yes - I have all the pat answers that mark me as a devout follower, and I can say the prayers and sing the songs of my faith from memory – just as our ancestors did.  However, I’m thinking that the words I have captured in memory are not the same animal as those written on the heart. Memory implies a past tense, but the words etched in your heart carry feeling and life in the moment.  They feel alive and very real.

The take-away for me in all of this is that I need to stay where it’s real during this Lenten Time, to live more from my heart than the memory of what my heart knows. To pay attention to the present moment, to stay open to the power for change that exists there. By the grace of God I can embrace whatever that reality may hold in each scary wonderful moment in my life.

In this Lenten Season, I pray that you may experience the reality of God’s word as well.  I pray that everyday moments become infused with the divine, and that you stay blessed in all that you are and do.

(Nancy Rogers)

No comments:

Post a Comment