Thursday, March 10, 2011

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.  (Ps 37:4)

One of my favorite Lenten devotions is to pray by listening to music that turns my thoughts to God.  I have made a “Christian Mix” play list for my I-Pod and although this music is not reserved just for this time of year (like Christmas music), I feel especially drawn to it during Lent. It’s a way of “fasting” to more worldly themes and setting my thoughts on things above.  In a sense, it allows me to have a little spiritual retreat whenever I get into the car, and I look forward to it every day.

As I read this verse in Psalm 37, it reminded me of a song I once heard performed at a conference.  I don’t remember the performer’s name, and I don’t remember many of the words to the song, but she was singing about having the chance to have whatever she wanted - the desires of her heart for all eternity - and she realized that what she wanted most was to see Jesus.  I don’t know what the keynote speaker’s topic was that day, but the message in that song made a lasting impression. How sad it would be to “have it all” and not have Jesus.  If the Lord was going to give me the desires of my heart, I had better get my priorities straight! 

It seems self-fulfilling though, doesn’t it?  If we delight in the Lord, the Lord will become our hearts’ desire.  When we yearn to be a part of God’s eternal life as it is streaming all around us, we will be blessed with the awareness of God’s presence at all times and in all circumstances. That certainly does my heart good!

Here is a song you might like to meditate on for today:
Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in his wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of his glory and grace.       
You can listen to Selah’s beautiful version of this song on YouTube by clicking here

(sb)
  

No comments:

Post a Comment