Readings: Psalm 72; Jer. 3:6-18; Romans 1:28-2:11; John 5:1-18
“Give the King your justice, O God…[that] the little hills bring righteousness… For he shall deliver the poor… and the oppressed who have no helper.” –Psalm 72
“The impotent man answered him, Sir, I have no man… to put me in the pool [to be healed]… Jesus said unto him, Rise, take up thy bed, and walk… And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the sabbath day. But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.” -- John: 5:1-18
I am reminded daily about “rebels,” whom I prefer to call “freedom fighters,” who are demanding increased civil rights in countries across the mid-East. They camp in city squares, wage war in the desert, and march in neighborhood streets in the name of greater employment, increased representation in their governments, and democratic reform.
May God move hardened, absolute monarchs and hopeful new leaders to justice and righteousness so that they shall deliver the poor and the oppressed, who have no helper. Let God be with the freedom fighters who disobey their nations’ letter of the law but fulfill the humanitarian spirit of the law on behalf of social and economic justice.
Their work is God’s work: Rise, take up your cause, and protest with the promise that the arid mountains may bring prosperity to the people, and the barren little hills may bring them righteousness.
No comments:
Post a Comment