Thursday, December 8, 2011

Thursday, December 8, 2011

My son's favorite childhood book was Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak.  Even today he has a framed poster hanging in his apartment depicting the character Max saying, "...let the wild rumpus begin".  Excerpts from this classic story speak to me as I face this paradoxical season where the wild rumpus of holiday festivities and to do's conflict with the quiet, spiritual preparation for and anticipation of the coming of Christ.The four weeks leading up to secular Christmas abound with wild things which "roar their terrible roars and gnash their terrible teeth and roll their terrible eyes and show their terrible claws" making it very difficult to bask in the peace, love, hope, and joy of the liturgical season.
 
As I write this, it is early morning, the house is quiet, the sun's rays are tinting the western hilltops, a setting perfect for spiritual preparation.  Yet beside me is a list of decorating, shopping, cooking, and socializing tasks for the days ahead.  I must finish this reflection quickly so I can cross this off my list...ah the seasonal paradox.
 
Psalm 37 in today's lectionary provides an Advent mantra to counteract Max's wild rumpus.  The psalmist reiterates the value of not frettting, of trusting the Lord, refraining from anger and rage (pepper spray afflicted shopping) and the benefits of having "Our steps directed by the Lord" not by the wild things.  Sendak's Max, clad in his white pajamas, witnesses the terrible roars and the terrible teeth and eyes and claws of the wild things.  With an innocent child's voice, Max says simply, "Be still." (Or as my young son lisped, Be stiw!) I strive to avoid being overwhelmed by the wild things and listen to the voice of Max  and the psalmist who says, "Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him."  While the wild rumpus has begun, there is a future for the peaceable if I "wait upon the Lord and keep his way".  From this reflection I have decided to read Psalm 37 each day as part of morning devotions for Advent.  The wisdom of the 42 verses is sufficient to enhance even the most frenetic existence.  Be still.
 
(Jan Moran)

No comments:

Post a Comment