Thursday, February 14, 2013

February 14, 2013



Readings:
AM Psalm 37:1-18; PM Psalm 37:19-42; Deuteronomy 7:6-11; Titus 1:1-16; John 1:29-34

For you are a people holy to the Lord your God; the Lord your God has chosen you out of all the peoples on earth to be his people, his treasured possession.  It was not because you were more numerous than any other people that the Lord set his heart on you and chose you – for you were the fewest of all peoples.  It was because the Lord loved you.
Deuteronomy 7:6-8 (NRSV)

By this time of the new year the gyms that had nary an open treadmill or elliptical machine in early January now aren’t quite as crowded.  Early to mid-February usually finds many people having faltered in their New Year’s resolutions to exercise more and so the gym regulars breathe a sigh of relief as the wait to use equipment declines substantially. 

Typically, we make New Year’s resolutions to improve ourselves and our lives – to make us better and more perfect people.  The advertisements that constantly bombard us in our culture encourage this as they tell us we need to be more of this and less of that in order to achieve the “perfection” that will then make us more popular and more loved by others. 

Growing up, what I knew and learned of the practice of giving up something for Lent came from my Catholic friends since in my Lutheran household the practice of giving up something for Lent was seen as “too Catholic” to take part in.  And so, my early understanding of the Lenten discipline of giving something up for Lent was that the practice was much like a New Year’s resolution.  It was a practice meant to make you a better and more perfect person who would, therefore, be more worthy of God’s love.  Of course, as a good Lutheran, I rejected this as heresy against my knowledge that I was saved by grace through faith and that there was nothing I could do to make God love me more than God already did. :-)

However, as I got older and went to seminary, my understanding of the practice evolved to more than the understanding I had gained in elementary school from my Catholic friends.  I came to see the practice of giving something up for Lent as a way to draw closer to God.  I began to understand that the practice of abstaining from something in Lent is a way to for us to rid ourselves of the things that get in the way of our relationship with the God who has chosen us as God’s own and who loves us more than we can ever comprehend simply because we belong to God.  Sure, giving that thing up might make us a better person, but that isn’t the goal.  The goal is to grow in relationship with God by turning away from that which leads us away from God.  And that can be done by abstaining from something that prevents me from fully living into my relationship with God or it can be done by adding something to my life that will help me to grow deeper in that relationship. 

With this new understanding under my belt, I feel comfortable in not being “too Catholic” if I give something up for Lent today because I now get that it isn’t heretical to who I am as a Lutheran Christian (or a Lutherpalian as I sometimes refer to myself as a Lutheran pastor serving in an Episcopal congregation :-).  I now understand that abstaining from something during Lent isn’t about making God love me more as I become more perfect and, therefore, more worthy of God’s love.  It is about growing in my relationship with the God who has chosen me as God’s treasured possession.  It is about growing in the knowledge and trust that God chose each and every one of us as God’s own people, not because we as a people were the best and most promising people out there – our Deuteronomy reading for the day tells us we were far from that – but because God loves us simply for who we are.  And so this Lent I will take part in a Lenten discipline not to be more perfect, but to live more fully into the perfect love of God who has chosen me as God’s own, imperfect as I may be.

Karen Safstrom

No comments:

Post a Comment