Sunday, February 17, 2013

February 17, 2013



Jesus’ analogies of the patched cloak and the wineskins always capture my imagination.  I have had enough experience with sewing and laundry to envision the patched cloak.  I’ve never seen a wineskin in action, but I can just imagine the bursting skin in my mind’s eye.  Great images!  And so, what is Jesus teaching us about navigating the juncture of old and new? 

I honor the scriptures as I’m sure all of you do.  It’s just something my parents and my community taught me to do.  But there are times when my values are challenged by two opposing (yet linked) ideologies.  At one end of the spectrum, the scriptures are reverenced to the point of being frozen in time.  You just don’t tamper with them.  At the other end is the question, “Why do you listen to the same old stories week after week, year after year, to the exclusion of everything else?”  The old and the new. 

When I imagine these ancient texts as “reverenced to the point of being frozen,” then I can see them as an old cloak or wineskin.  Why are we still using them? Why try to apply them to our new way of looking at the world?  They will just get ripped apart!  Maybe we should set them aside and focus instead on something more modern and fitting with our culture.

But in this passage, Jesus was not talking about the scriptures.  Instead, he was talking about our response to the scriptures.  I believe he was telling his followers that the Word of God is alive!  We can’t let it get trapped into our old traditions and frozen in time.  It will be useless to us.  Instead we need to let it move and grow and draw us into new ways of responding to the world around us.  Those of us who love the scriptures feel the presence of the Holy Spirit in them making them alive, and because of that, they are always being made new!  

- Sue B.     

No comments:

Post a Comment