Friday, December 7, 2012

Friday, December 7, 2012



“The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup, you hold my lot.  The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; I have a goodly heritage.”  Psalm 16:6

“The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places,” writes the Psalmist.   

Several years ago, as I planned the readings for our 25th wedding anniversary, these words jumped out at me.  The operative word, for me, was then and is now, the word “fallen”.  The boundary lines in my life have simply fallen in place in spite of my determined attempts to control their placement.

For many years I spent much time and effort planning and constructing the boundaries of my life, sometimes even using Scripture or church teachings as the cement to keep the walls secure.  These walls were built for a variety of reasons; to keep my family safe, to keep out signs of imperfection, to hide social injustice from my view, to defend my beliefs, and (I’m embarrassed to admit) sometimes even to climb up on, so as to be able to look down on others whose lives seemed “out of bounds”.

But, in the words of Robert Frost, “Something there is that doesn’t love a wall, that sends the frozen-ground-swell under it, and spills the upper boulders in the sun. “ Slowly but surely the boulders toppled and the boundaries moved as my children questioned their placement, EfM (Education for Ministry) challenged my doctrine, and people refused to fit their assigned stereotypes.  I found myself wondering  “what I was walling in or walling out and to whom I was like to give offense.” As the boundary lines began to fall in new and unexpected places, I found that the people, places and ideas they encompassed enriched rather than threatened my life.

Some call it karma and some call it fate, and Frost even suggests elves as the culprit responsible for the chances and changes in our lives.  I can’t help but think it might be the work of our surprising infant king whose love knows no bounds.

RC

No comments:

Post a Comment