Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

During the Christmas season, I have been performing and practicing Handel’s Messiah with a youth orchestra that I’m a part of.  One of the passages in the great Messiah symphony is “Rejoice Greatly, O Daughter of Zion.”  I wasn’t familiar with the name Zion, so at first I thought Zion was a person – perhaps one of Jesus’ followers.  But one of the psalms that I read talked about Zion as a mountain, so I was confused.  When I looked it up online, I found that the Hebrew definition of the Daughter of Zion is the Temple Mount in Jerusalem, whereas in the Christian tradition, the Daughter of Zion is the Church.  We are the Daughter of Zion.  So when the Messiah symphony talks about rejoicing greatly, it means that WE should rejoice greatly.  Not just people who were alive in the days in which the psalms were written and not just people who were alive during Handel’s day, but us right here and now.

To state the obvious, Christmas is coming.  Every year I see my mom and dad going crazy trying to buy gifts and I see all of the commercials on TV for gadgets, electronics, clothes, even cars.  We love giving and receiving presents, but at the same time we feel guilty about it because we know that there are lots of better things we could be doing with our money.  We could be helping poor people get the food and clothing they need.  We could give it to the Church.  We could be saving it for college or other needs later in life.  So we tend to feel really guilty.  But maybe we should give ourselves a little slack.  After all, we give each other presents because we love each other and want to do nice things for each other.  So maybe giving presents is OK as long as we do what the psalms tell us to do and what Handel reminds us to do this season – Rejoice!

(Abigail)


No comments:

Post a Comment