Sunday, December 16, 2012

Sunday, December 16, 2012



Today’s Readings: Psalm 63 1-8, Psalm 98, Psalm 103, Isaiah 13:6-13, Hebrew 12: 18-29, John 3:22-30

When I tell people how I spend my Thursday evenings, they usually respond by saying, “That must be so difficult and depressing.”  Most Thursdays nights for the past six years, I have been leading a support group for people who are in the early stages of Alzheimer’s disease.  As if having Alzheimer’s disease weren’t bad enough, the people who come to my support group are not what most people would consider old.  They are in their late 40s, 50s, and early 60s.

On the contrary, the time I spend with this support group usually turns out to be the most inspiring part of my week.  It is a great honor to witness the courage with which these people face having an illness that is taking away much of their independence and many of their dreams for the future.    Even though the group is not supported by a religious organization, many of its members often share stories of their faith. This week’s group was no exception, and amazingly, the conversation echoed two of today’s readings, Psalm 63: 1-8 and Psalm 103.

In completing our usual routine of checking in with all members, one member of our group shared how important reading her Bible and participating in her Bible study is to keeping a positive attitude in the face of Alzheimer’s.  When asked what it is about the Bible that helps her, it was clear that the her  faith in God is the “sanctuary” from the “dry and weary land where there is no water” as David describes in Psalm 63 and could easily describe the day in the life of a person with Alzheimer’s.   She went on to talk about the hope that she gets especially from her knowledge of the love of God and the promise of everlasting life that is so eloquently written of again by David in Psalm 103 that “satisfies you with good as long as you live so that your youth is renewed like an eagle’s.”  She shared how much her mood and attitude always improved after the discussion in her Bible study.

Even after all of these years with the group, I continue to learn valuable lessons that help me face my own life’s challenges and appreciate all of my many, many blessings.  Like many people, some of my family and friends are facing some serious difficulties this Christmas season, and I needed this reminder of the power of God’s love .  I left my support group feeling re-energized by the hope promised by the season of Advent and the birth of Jesus Christ.

(Nicole McGurin)

No comments:

Post a Comment