Friday, December 13, 2013

December 13, 2013

Psalm 31, Psalm 35,  Haggai 1: 1-15, Rev. 2: 18-29, Matt. 23: 27-39

Be strong, and let your heart take courage,
all you who wait for the Lord.
               -Psalm 31, v. 24
--------------------------------
My  meditation on today’s readings is about coincidences and about light and Saint Lucy and Nelson Mandela. First, I want to highlight what a happy coincidence it was that I was assigned the 13th of December. December 13th  is always a big deal in our family, a long awaited day -- it’s my husband Esteban’s birthday. Feliz cumpleaños Esteban! I realized when I consulted the lectionary that it’s also the feast day of Saint Lucy. I knew this was Saint Lucia season  having taught at a Swedish Lutheran college for 10 years. Augustana honored its Swedish roots and the Swedish Lucia traditions every year by having one brave student “volunteer?” in a Swedish 101 class don a long, white robe and a crown of lighted candles  and march around our college-wide Christmas smorgasbord followed by other (embarrassed) Swedish 101 students dressed as star boys carrying star wands and softly singing “Sankta Lucia.”   Anyway, although we’re specifically instructed to stick to the day’s readings (and not the Saint’s readings) for our meditations here, I felt compelled to read more about Saint Lucy when I saw the 13th was her actual feast day and given our daughter’s name is Lucinda and in our house she goes by Luci, which her dad often shortens further  to  “Luz “ or “Light.” I like the prayer of Saint Lucy very much and the Lucia Swedish traditions, but, as with most of the early virgin martyr saints, St. Lucy’s story and early iconography are a tad gruesome, so I won’t elaborate on that. Still, I have been reciting and reflecting on her prayer:

Loving God, for the salvation of all you gave Jesus Christ as light to a world in darkness: Illumine us, with your daughter Lucy, with the light of Christ, that by the merits of his passion we may be led to eternal life; through the same Jesus Christ, who with you and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

My heart takes courage from simple prayers like that. My response to the readings from the lectionary assigned for today was more complicated as all the readings spoke of fierce struggles and include strong warnings to the Lord’s enemies and foes. Psalm 31 concludes with the inspiring verse I took as an epigraph about letting your heart take courage as you wait for the Lord, but otherwise the Psalmist speaks of his terror and how he seeks deliverance from his enemies (whom he prays the Lord will punish). Frankly, I’m not sure what to do with that.

So I returned (instead) to thinking of waiting in darkness with a heavy heart, waiting to be illumined. Waiting is difficult and it’s hard to have faith that the light will return to a world in darkness. This past Sunday I was really struck by Karen’s powerful sermon and the long list she cited of things we can wait for in life, often with hearts that are heavy, very heavy and not light. It can feel almost impossible to be lighthearted when one waits and considers the terrors the Psalmist imagines. And I need to point out that by lighthearted I mean to be hopeful and not in the sense of being absolutely carefree or lacking seriousness. I would make the case that one can be, we can all try to be seriously lighthearted, especially during this season of Advent and we do this by shining our own light, as it were, for others. I have been and keep thinking of Nelson Mandela’s life as I write this and especially the video clips of him as an old man, liberated and dancing. If we have faith and let our hearts take courage… and we let our light shine, we can navigate our way out of darkness/darker moments.

And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others ~ Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Be strong, and let your heart take courage,
all you who wait for the Lord.  -Psalm 31


-       Kathleen Suchenski

No comments:

Post a Comment