Monday, December 23, 2013

December 23, 2013

Luke 1:20 – “But now, because you did not believe my words, which will be fulfilled in their time, you will become mute, unable to speak, until the day these things occur.”

As I read these words in Luke, I wonder what it would be like to suddenly not be able to speak for nine months. Frankly, it frightens me. I can't even contemplate a weekend-long silent retreat! I wonder if Zechariah spent his time unable to speak going about business as usual, writing things down instead of speaking or if he took some time to reflect before responding to what was going on around him. Did he take a step back from the day to day and spend the silence with God? And what would my life be like if I did these things? Thinking before speaking? Taking time to sit with God in silence? Definitely something I need to add to my life.


Laura Caswell

No comments:

Post a Comment