Sunday, December 8, 2013

December 8, 2013

This morning I read today’s Psalm 150 and thought of the contrast between its majestic notes and the cacophony of Holiday Mall Music Songs that I know I will find myself walking through on this Advent journey.

You better watch out!  You better not cry!
1 Praise the Lord!
Praise God in his sanctuary;
   praise him in his mighty firmament!
*
Frosty the Snowman, was a fairy tale they say…
2 Praise him for his mighty deeds;
   praise him according to his surpassing greatness!

I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus!
3 Praise him with trumpet sound;
   praise him with lute and harp!

Have a Holly Jolly Christmas, it’s the happiest time of year!
4 Praise him with tambourine and dance;
   praise him with strings and pipe!

Silver bells, Silver bells, it’s Christmas time in the city;
   hear them ring! Ding-a-ling!

5 Praise him with clanging cymbals;
   praise him with loud clashing cymbals!

My true love gave to me 12 Drummers drumming, 11 Pipers Piping!
6 Let everything that breathes praise the Lord!
Praise the Lord!


Lord, I would like to be an instrument of Your joy. Please help me to echo with the joy of Your music this Advent. Nonetheless, Lord, as Advent is a time of preparation for the happy gift of Your Son to the world, I would NOT like to be seen as a Grinch, a Grouch or a Humbug just now; so also please help me to harmonize Your music to the pleasure that so many find in the world of mall madness this “Holiday Season.”



Silent night, holy night!  All is calm, all is bright!
Round yon virgin mother and child…

Will Ames




No comments:

Post a Comment