Saturday, December 21, 2013

December 21, 2013

“Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.”  – Matthew 25:34-36

This part of the gospel reading reminds me of Christmas hospitality. During this time people are friendlier, donate more, and show their love for their family, friends and neighbors, including “neighbors” they don’t know – and those may be the very definition of “one of the least of these who are members of Jesus’ family.”

For Thanksgiving, we donate baskets of food to the Wachusett food pantry for the hungry in our community, whom we do not see pick up, cook or eat that food. And we happily take all the ornaments from the Christmas tree in the St. Francis narthex and fill bags and bags with toys and clothes for local children in need, whom we will never meet to see their eyes light up (we hope, if only for a moment) on Christmas morning when they open these presents.

So rather than focus on this whole gospel message of a future judgment and separation – the sheep and the goats, heaven and hell – I think the point here is to focus on what to do now! Instead of a month of holiday hospitality from the end of November to the end of December, let’s make it a year-round thing. The season of peace, hope, joy and love could be eternal. That would be very good news!

Claire and Cynthia McIntyre





No comments:

Post a Comment