Matthew's gospel relates the story of the master
who distributes his property, "talents" - for a time - to slaves
"each according to his ability." I had just read this passage
two weeks ago in relation to a financial/investing article I'd seen on moneynews.com.
I read the passage and literally had chills going down my back. I am
that slave who, receiving only one talent, said to the master upon his return:
"“Master, I knew that you were a harsh man, reaping where you did not sow,
and gathering where you did not scatter seed; 25so
I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here you have what
is yours.” 26
I am sooo utterly cautious. What this
passage refers to as "investing," I perceive as "taking a
chance," or "gambling." I worry about losing what I have -
not just money, but my time, my talents, my life - that I don't invest in it,
let alone spend (live) it. My ability to map out the "What ifs"
and all the possible outcomes - positive and negative - would impress an
experienced military strategist, but it wouldn't advance any cause.
I can absolutely see myself cowering before an
angry Lord, who is frustrated with my lack of action in face of my fear.
So many people who care for me are already frustrated with my waffling,
my tears, my whining. When will I step up and take the amazing legacy
that God has given us and live my life to the fullest? Be the person that
I am, fully? Completely? Confidently? Without fear of what others may
think of me? Without fear of my master being harsh or angry with me?
In five days, God will give to us - for a time -
his most precious possession, the most valuable gift, His son, Jesus Christ.
Will we squander His gift? Will we invest in Him? In
ourselves? Will we double our legacy and be worthy of God saying to us, “Well
done, good and trustworthy slave; you have been trustworthy in a few things, I
will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.”
If God sent us His son, knowing what we're going
to do to Him, but knowing this sacrifice is to save our souls, I know I am not
worthy of the Love that is Jesus' birth. How can I, how can anyone,
possibly be worthy of that?
But if I turn my eyes away from the blinding,
overwhelming act of love and just sit still, with a newborn baby, in a warm
stable, surrounded by animals, listening to songs of angels, I may not feel
worthy but I sure feel blessed.
And that is a call I can answer.
- Kathleen Dixon
No comments:
Post a Comment