Tuesday, March 11, 2014

March 11, 2014


 16 As Jesus passed along the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake—for they were fishermen. 17And Jesus said to them, ‘Follow me and I will make you fish for people.’ 18And immediately they left their nets and followed him. 19As he went a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John, who were in their boat mending the nets. 20Immediately he called them; and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men, and followed him.  Mark 1:16-20

The Jesus Boat
I love archeology, so I was surprised and delighted to learn that several years ago, during a drought on the Sea of Galilee, a boat dubbed The Jesus Boat was unearthed at the bottom of the lake.  Is this the boat that Jesus actually rode in? While there is no evidence to prove that conclusively, we do know that it is dated from the 1st century, and is the size and kind that was used for fishing during Jesus’ time.

Some might ask, “Does the Jesus Boat really matter?  Isn’t the story a matter of faith, after all?”  
And to me, the answer is “Yes and yes.”
Isn’t it lucky to live in a time where we can not only be surrounded by the important stories of the life of Jesus that have come down to us through the centuries, but also be presented with concrete historical objects that amplify the story?  I think Robin Williams is right when he reminds us that number seven of the Top Ten Reasons To Be Episcopalian is that we don’t have to check our intellects at the door.

I spent time recently at a museum of natural history, where I was very much sensitized and intrigued by seeing and touching extant artifacts of dinosaurs and fossils.  Today, I am exploring a centuries-old fish story and pondering that often asked question, “How quickly would I throw down my nets if asked to?”  I’ll take a look at the Jesus Boat information at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_of_Galilee_Boat to explore a wonderful concrete object that exemplifies this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment