Wednesday, March 12, 2014

March 12, 2014

Psalm 119: 49-72, Psalm 49, [53],  Gen.  37:25-36, 1 Cor. 2:1-13, Mark 1:29-45

1 Hear this, all you peoples; give ear, all inhabitants of the world, 2 both low and high, rich and poor together. 3 My mouth shall speak wisdom;  the meditation of my heart shall be understanding. 4 I will incline my ear to a proverb; I will solve my riddle to the music of the harp. . .   
12Mortals cannot abide in their pomp; they are like the animals that perish.  - Psalm 49
I’ve never been a fan of pomp. But I do like puzzles, proverbs and psalms.  I love the confidence of the Psalmist at the opening of Psalm 49, this proclamation, all commands and future tenses, “Hear this… give ear... My mouth shall speak wisdom…” (I’d like to try and start all my work email correspondence that way!)  But what is the Psalmist declaiming? Actually, declaiming would by definition be pompous. So what is the Psalmist trying to teach us, inviting us to hear? What does it mean to solve one’s riddle to the music of the harp?  And why does the Psalmist circle back to this refrain in the form of a harsh warning: “Mortals cannot abide in their pomp; they are like the animals that perish”?  Can you hear me now?
Signing on to write a meditation for the St. Francis blog is always a blessing and a challenge: I welcome the opportunity to “incline my ear to a proverb”… or psalm or Gospel, but I'm not always sure how to “solve my riddle.”  (Maybe I need a harp?) We read and search for insights, connections, threads.  And sometimes I find myself drawn to a section of a reading but unsure of what to make of all of it.  I guess the main thread I'm following is how to access spiritual wisdom.  Both Psalm 49 and Paul’s letter to the Corinthians speak to the power of meditation and the insufficiency of words.  The Psalmist in Psalm 49 is clearly reminding listeners of their mortality, especially the rich (read selfish and pompous in this context) who mindlessly, greedily hoard their worldly goods and all for naught as they’ll just die like animals anyway. (Yes, I know I said earlier how I like proverbs, riddles and psalms but I have trouble sometimes with the strong retribution vibe, of reckoning or evening the score in the Psalms.  Woe to them, they’ll get theirs and all that.)  So I remain poised, inclining my ear to this song, reflecting on what and where our “treasure” is actually, but put off  by how much time is spent in the Psalm reassuring readers that the rich who are greedy will get theirs.  To me the season of Lent isn’t about judging others and gloating when the “wicked” get punished, but more of a call to turn inward.  I remember Rich writing a few years back about how Lent was the time to reflect, see the log in our own eye and not just the speck in our brother’s (Mathew 7:3).  So I guess I have to cast myself in this Psalm as someone is off course and needs reminding to turn toward God and remember where my treasure is. I have to own it … and let it go, as Randy has said elsewhere.
I have been trying to gear myself up for Lent to reflect and be intentional, for myself, my family and in my community/ies to take the time to reconnect with what matters so that “meditation[s ] of my heart shall be understanding” as the Psalmist promises. I’m (still) searching for spiritual wisdom,  still searching for the words and praying that I, that we all have the spirit from God to become more spiritual, spirit filled,  less preoccupied by consumer culture and the heavy burdens that Randy has described. We hope to be more liberated and focused on what truly matters during Lent.  It always is a leap of faith to imagine oneself able to speak of spiritual things in words taught by the spirit.  That’s another riddle I’m “inclining my ear to” at the close of Paul’s letter, these “words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit.” 
For what human being knows what is truly human except the human spirit that is within? So also no one comprehends what is truly God’s except the Spirit of God.
 12Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit that is from God, so that we may understand the gifts bestowed on us by God. 13And we speak of these things in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual things to those who are spiritual.*
1 Cor. 2:1-13


 -Kathleen Suchenski

No comments:

Post a Comment