Thursday, March 20, 2014

March 20, 2014

Eucharistic Readings: Psalm 1, Jeremiah 17: 5-10, Luke 16: 19-31

Today’s Eucharistic readings brought to mind a conversation that I had recently with a fellow mother of elementary school aged children.  We were discussing one of our greatest parenting challenges, letting go of the control that we once had over our children.  Now that our children spend more time in school and extracurricular activities than with us, we can no longer protect them from injury, emotional and physical, or restrict their exposure to ideas and mass media the way we once did.   But, fortunately as my very wise friend reminded me, unlike us, God is always there to watch out for our children.

As I send my children off into the wild worlds of Davis Hill Elementary School and Holden Youth Soccer, I am reassured by the words of Jeremiah 17 which state:

Blessed are those who trust in the Lord,
whose trust is the Lord.
They shall be like a tree planted by water,
sending out its roots by the stream.
It shall not fear when heat comes,
and its leaves shall stay green;
In the year of drought it is not anxious
and it does not cease to bear fruit.

I know that if I strive for the faith described in Psalm 1 and Luke 16 in the rewards of trusting God, I can relieve myself of much of the worry of being a parent and allow my children to experience life for themselves.


I will not try act as if trusting the well-being of your children to God is an easy task, for it is not.  When I find myself overwhelmed by the uncertainty and fears of parenting, I turn to one of the many treasures in my personal Book of Common Prayer, the Prayer for Young Persons.  This prayer, which can be found on page 829 in the Book of Common Prayer, asks God for help for children “growing up in an unsteady and confusing world” and strengthens my sense of peace and hope in God’s care for my own children.

Nicole McGurin

No comments:

Post a Comment