Tuesday, March 18, 2014

March 18, 2014

Psalm 62:5 “For God alone my soul waits in silence, for my hope is from him.”  

Again, I am drawn to words about silence.  The idea of my soul waiting in silence for God makes me think about the busyness in my life and those around me. I signed up for the fall book study that Karen did online. I managed to read one chapter. For the Lenten book study I bought the book and haven’t yet cracked it open. I’m not going to the Lenten Quiet day; too busy. But when I am “too busy” is just when I should go; just what my soul wants and needs.

A long time ago I decided I was not going to give things up for Lent. For me, giving up chocolate doesn’t add meaning to Lent. What does work for me is doing something; daily readings at breakfast usually work best. I’ve been pretty faithful with the readings this year. It’s usual a quick read, a “hmm, that was interesting” and then getting on with my day. As I write this, I think it’s time to add another layer to the readings, to sit for 5 minutes in silence, to let the words sink in, not mull them over and decide what they mean to me or how I can incorporate the “theme” into my life, but just sit in silence and see what happens. In the words of the Collect: “Grant us so to hear, read, mark, learn and inwardly digest them”.



- Laura Caswell

No comments:

Post a Comment