Wednesday, March 13, 2013

March 13, 2013


…see how the fields are ripe for harvesting.

One of the themes of today’s lectionary is evangelism. Evangelism is a scary concept to me; I often do not feel comfortable talking about my faith to strangers or even intimate friends whom I know follow a different way. What right do I have to approach my colleague and share the story of Jesus?  Especially in a culture where faith is politically polarized, mainline churches are closing their doors due to low attendance, and thousands have been ostracized or deeply wounded by the churches of their childhood, what words can I say about the church, the scriptures, or the teachings of Jesus that are not offensive or ring with hypocrisy?  

But three things strike me about today’s lectionary readings. The first is that God’s statutes are life preserving. The second is that the story of Jesus brings joy!  And the third is that the fields are ripe for harvesting; in other words, the people of this earth are ready to hear life-giving, joy-bringing words.

Then the LORD commanded us to observe all these statutes, to fear the LORD our God, for our lasting good, so as to keep us alive…

Last Thursday, I sat across from a dear friend who shared about her home, one that was hemmed in with pain, a lie and deep betrayal. We spoke about commitment, adultery, and what life-giving love looks like. Through our conversation, I saw that the words I offered to her, which were simple words describing God’s law—a description of dutiful and committed love, faithfulness, and self-sacrifice—brought hope to her life. It was a description of a different way, one where healing love thrives.

…the eunuch saw him no more, and went on his way rejoicing.

I remember the day that I heard the Gospel; the day I learned I was a beloved child of the living God. My heart overflowed, I cried tears of joy because the story of a God who would sacrifice his power and glory, be humiliated for me, and who wants me as an adopted child, ran deep into my soul, and transformed my life. I can take risks; I can pursue the good of others because I am not so consumed with need. My God is a naked lamb, exposed before the world, and I can be, too. The Gospel has set me free, and I am able to live life to the fullest because of the hope I have in Jesus Christ. I will continue to go on my way, rejoicing!

My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to complete his work.

Instead of being afraid to share the good news of Christ, I will do this instead: I will live a life of humility and love, living by God’s law: a law of hope, reconciliation, healing, and sacrifice. I will pray as David prayed, “knit my heart to you that I may fear your Name.” I will join and journey with my friends and colleagues who are also on the Wilderness Road. I will answer to the call of the Holy Spirit as Phillip did, “Then the Spirit said to Philip, ‘Go over to this chariot and join it.’”  And finally, I will live like Jesus who came to this earth to work: to work for the hope of the People, to reconcile the People to God. It is time for me to share the Good News.

- Becky Grinstead

No comments:

Post a Comment