Friday, March 22, 2013

March 22, 2013


Jeremiah 29:4:  4Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, to all the exiles whom I have sent into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon.
When I read this passage I feel a bit like an exile, “at home in the body (but) away from the Lord” as Paul says in 2 Corinthians. It’s a bit sad and lonely to feel like an exile. But God’s message to the exiles was, basically, “bloom where you’re planted!”  Live your lives, build homes, plant gardens, live long and prosper. “Seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare.”  It’s not just about obeying God so we can earn eternal life after we die; we need to participate in God’s eternal life now by making our global city a better place.
Furthermore, don’t listen to the lies of the false prophets. I wonder who they are for us?  In Jeremiah’s time, they were those who promised false hope. They trusted in their nation’s strength and were certain that the Lord was on their side even though they were living in a way that was not pleasing to the Lord. They prophesied the thoughts and wishes of their own hearts rather than seeking to do God’s will. It’s certainly much easier and more comfortable that way, but it doesn’t do much for your relationship with God or with others. In the words of Anne Lamott, “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” 
So we need to be discerning, and we need to seek God’s will rather than our own. That’s not an easy task in a world full of information and opinions. Who is our Jeremiah?  Who is speaking the hard truths?  It may seem a bit naïve, but it is my hope that our spirit, God’s Holy Spirit within us, knows God’s voice when we hear it. God’s promise to us while we are in exile is wonderful and hopeful, but it is conditional; an “if…then” statement:        
Jeremiah 29: 11-13: 11For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope. 12Then when you call upon me and come and pray to me, I will hear you. 13When you search for me, you will find me; if you seek me with all your heart.
The Lord has promised good to us. His word our hope secures. Take a moment and let this child bless your heart:

No comments:

Post a Comment