Wednesday, March 20, 2013

March 20, 2013



14 But how are they to call on one in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in one of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone to proclaim him? 15And how are they to proclaim him unless they are sent? As it is written, ‘How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!’ 16But not all have obeyed the good news;* for Isaiah says, ‘Lord, who has believed our message?’ 17So faith comes from what is heard, and what is heard comes through the word of Christ.*

This concept often perplexes me. How do we teach someone how to believe?

I am always surprised when I meet a kid who doesn’t know about God (and by God I mean the great higher power of all faiths). As a cradle Episcopalian I can’t relate. For me, having God in my life is akin to breathing. Yet many of my kids’ friends have never been to church, live in families where religion simply plays no part, in a world largely disconnected from spirituality. My adult friends run the gamut, both by themselves and for their children and families…some are lifelong followers, others are seekers without a spiritual home, others have no formal belief system at all.

When people don’t have God in their lives, I am deeply saddened at what they are missing. I generally keep my ears tuned to messages of belief and confusion, and gently enter into conversations about this because, well, I like to. I think it’s so very important to live our faith. I find this REALLY important when I hear a child who has no idea who God is.

Sometimes we have heard the lessons, had the conversations, and modeled belief and faith, and still we don’t know for sure if we’ve had any impact. Teenagers often struggle spiritually, and mine certainly do. While it can be hard to trust that anything can reach them, sometimes we find beautiful surprises.

I am “friends” on Facebook with my 17-year-old son’s guitar teacher. He has been taking private lessons for several years, and we have greatly valued Troy’s mentorship. Recently Troy posted this on his status:

Down on one knee this morning (like every morning) thanking the Lord for entrusting me with the education of around 80 fine musicians. A handful of beginners, mostly intermediate/advanced, and even a few pros. From Him, through me, to each and every student :)

I’d known that Troy was a person of faith, and I am always happy when he writes an occasional spiritual post. This one I loved, so I “liked” it. The best part of all was that when I did so, I found that my son had also done the same.

The subtle hand of God works wonders.

LMC

No comments:

Post a Comment