Sunday, March 24, 2013

Palm Sunday, March 24, 2013


Psalms 24,29,103
First Letter of Paul to Timothy 6:12-16
Zechariah  9:9-12; 12:9-11;13:1,7-9
Matthew 21:12-17

I have always loved the Palm Sunday image of Jesus riding on the donkey into Jerusalem, the crowd spreading their cloaks, waving palms fronds, declaring him to be the blessed one who has come in the name of the Lord. It is such an odd image of the Jesus we have come to know throughout in the Gospel accounts of what has taken place prior to this time. He has shown us that he is the determined teacher, the sometimes impatient leader, the gentle healer, the provider of food for all, the rule breaker, the forgiver of sins. In Luke’s description of this scene that we read in the liturgy today Jesus is set upon the donkey by others. He is used to being humble. He is not riding the horse that a warrior would ride. He steps into this uncharacteristic role of “king” because he knows it is time.

The first daily reading from Zechariah has been interpreted by some as the prophetic foreshadowing of this scene. Here comes your king, humble and riding on a donkey. He shall command peace to all nations. “O prisoners of hope today I declare that I will restore to you double.”

In the Gospel Jesus’ next significant moment is his outburst in the temple, turning over the tables of those who were selling offerings and making loans, furious that they have made it a “den of robbers”—presumably these were not honest retailers. He is outraged that the temple of worship has been turned into a marketplace, somewhat like Martin Luther’s outrage at the sale of indulgences so many years later. I can hardly imagine Jesus’ emotions at that time—don’t you guys get it—I’ve come to save you from useless, immoral, greedy, sinful behavior and bring you to the truth of God’s love—and I’m running out of time—I’m going to suffer crucifixion to do this.

Then Jesus calms down, moves into his healing role again. The priests observe him, waiting to pounce, questioning his authority. But it is the children who praise him: “Hosanna to the Son of David.” Jesus responds to the priests, “Have you  never read, ‘Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings thou hast brought perfect praise’?” It is telling that this saying is still used in our time to mean that the innocent are the truth tellers. Children see things through clearer eyes and open minds.

In this Holy Week ahead, may we clear our eyes and open our minds like children, to the blessing of salvation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment