Friday, March 23, 2012

Friday, March 23, 2012


“He turns to hear the prayer of the destitute/and does not scorn them when they pray.” (Ps. 102:17-18)

Psalm 102 is one of the liturgical readings for this day. This so-called psalm of lament is a psalm I‘ve read many times, and it ranks among my favorites. 

Why? Well, it begins with a vivid description of the human condition, the psalmist giving us a catalogue of his many sorrows - a burning fever, fierce hunger, constant pain and sleepless nights. And who can’t identify with something in that list, especially the agitation and anxiety of a sleepless night? 

Then while the psalmist if proclaiming his litany of complaints, a glimmer of hope emerges that comes into full fruition with the line: “He turns to hear the prayer of the destitute/and does not scorn them when they pray.” The psalm comes full cycle. There is redemption here. In the midst of his many sorrows, the psalmist gets a revelation--he sees something clearly--that Yahweh, his God, is all powerful and eternal, and will not only redeem him but all Israel will be restored. Then, as the psalmist proclaims, all nations will recognition His might and honor Him. Quite a psalm and quite a vision.

Whenever I’m lonely or frightened, I often resort to reading the psalms. They are balm for hurt minds. This particular psalm speaks to me. I find comfort in its redeeming message. And isn’t it a metaphor  of the Lenten season itself? We march through the forty days of Lent, fasting, sacrificing and doing penance, and then on Easter Sunday, we witness the glory the the Risen Christ. 

I’m reminded here of the wonderful line by Julian of Norwich. “All will be well, all will be well, all manner of things will be well.”

(Joseph Reynolds) 

No comments:

Post a Comment