Thursday, March 22, 2012

Thursday, March 22, 2012


A meditation on Psalm  73
 
Truly God is good to the upright,
to those who are pure in heart.
But as for me, my feet had almost stumbled;
My steps had nearly slipped

Why do the “work of Lent” the work of a thorough examination of our shortcomings and making a commitment to repentance and change? To me and to the psalmist “it seems a wearisome task”.  This work is easy to ignore, to put aside for another time, year, century.  For some of us the work is undertaken out of desperation, life is so empty or difficult or ridiculous that there is nothing left to lose by facing the truth and following a different path. 

The work of Lent is difficult but definitely worth doing, because the life that results is the only life worth living.  The psalmist states that he sought to understand by going into the sanctuary of God. There he realizes that when his “soul was embittered” He was “stupid and ignorant” He understands, however; that even when he was in this brutish state, God was continually with him, holding his hand.

Now his life is guided not by his own counsel, but is led by God. When his heart and body fails, God will be his strength. He will be received with honor.

This Lent, and daily, I seek to be in right relationship with God, and to keep my house in order. Having done a painstaking evaluation of my life, I have come to know a new freedom and a new happiness. I do not regret the past nor do I wish to shut the door on it.  I understand the word serenity and I know peace.

 For me, it is good to be near God;
I have made the Lord my refuge
to tell of all his works.

(Carrie Grinstead)

No comments:

Post a Comment