Friday, March 9, 2012

Friday, March 9, 2012


"Next time we will laugh more, we will love more, we just won’t be so afraid.”  

A quote from Queen Latifah from one of my favorite movies, Last Holiday.  I actually have this on the wall in my bathroom and I read it each morning.  This quote speaks to me because I spend a lot of my time being afraid.  Maybe it comes with being a mom:  I’m afraid of earthquakes in Japan, I’m afraid of car accidents on the Pike, I’m afraid Corie won’t get into college.  Maybe it comes from the news:  I’m afraid of tornadoes, I’m afraid of the unemployment situation continuing to deteriorate, I’m afraid of Republicans.  Maybe it comes from being in my 50’s:  I’m afraid of cancer, I’m afraid of twitter, I’m afraid that I am a failure.

Rich preaches often that fear can paralyze.  Dwelling and obsessing only keeps you from living your life.  Intellectually, I understand and appreciate that.  He is correct.  But sometimes living in the desert or a stormy season can make it difficult to overcome that fear.  He also said that Lent is a time to embrace the “desert” portion of our lives and turn back to God.

One of today’s readings is Mark 4:35-41—the Jesus-calms-the-storm story.  We all know it.  Jesus and his pals are out on the sea, he is below deck sleeping and a violent storm suddenly comes upon them and they are afraid.  Terrified.  Paralyzed.  If I am reading this passage correctly, the disciples wake up Jesus not to ask him to save them from the angry sea, but because they are pretty angry with him that he isn’t sharing in their fear and they want to know what gives?  I do that a lot in my stormy times as well.  I don’t understand why my husband doesn’t share in my fear. Or my best friend. Or my girls.  I want them to feel the same way I do.  I want them to walk down that dark path with me. I also get angry with God because I want that control.  Silly, isn’t it?  51 years on this earth and I still have the gall to think I have some control over what happens in my life. 

I like this passage because I can relate to the disciples.  And even after witnessing Jesus’ power first hand, they still go on during the stormy times to have little faith, much doubt and paralyzing fear.  But they come to believe.  They believe that Jesus is indeed God’s son.  They hold on.  For me, that is all I can do during the violent storms:  hold on tightly.   And get up each day, with Jesus’ help, laugh more, love more and not be so afraid.

(Lori Welch)

No comments:

Post a Comment