Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Wednesday, March 28,2012



“With the Lord is unfailing love, and with him is redemption.” Psalm130: 7

The readings today speak of perspective and persistence. During Lent, it is important to meditate on lessons given to us throughout the year in our own lives, while reflecting and giving ourselves perspective.

The Psalms for today remind us that crying out to God for help is ok. In our daily lives, we are pushed down and tested in many ways. The situations and experiences throughout our lives are pieces of fabric, interwoven into a patchwork quilt that makes us who we are. He asks us to remain strong because of his promise. Persistence. The wear and tear is for his purpose, one that we cannot perfectly know. Perspective. He hears us when we cry out.  He asks us to go out into the world as a letter from Christ, representing the spirit of a living God in our hearts. Confidence in Christ is ours to share with those around us. The competence comes from God our father and creator. 

The following reflection has always brought me comfort in times of trial. It redirects me, helps me gain perspective, and helps me to remain persistent in being a light of Christ. May all our quilts be thread bare and worn, allowing Christ to shine through.

(H. Gladwin)

God's Quilt
As I faced my Maker at the last judgment,
I knelt before the Lord along with all the other
souls. Before each of us laid our lives like the
squares of a quilt in many piles.
An Angel sat before each of us sewing our quilt
squares together into a tapestry that is our life.
But as my angel took each piece of cloth off the
pile, I noticed how ragged and empty each of my
squares was. They were filled with giant holes.
Each square was labeled with a part of my life
that had been difficult, the challenges and temptations
I was faced with in everyday life. I saw hardships
that I endured, which were the largest holes of all.
I glanced around me. Nobody else had such squares.
Other than a tiny hole here and there, the other
tapestries were filled with rich color and the
bright hues of worldly fortune. I gazed upon my own
life and was disheartened. My angel was sewing the
ragged pieces of cloth together, thread bare and
empty, like binding air.
Finally the time came when each life was to be displayed,
held up to the light, the scrutiny of truth. The
others rose, each in turn, holding up their
tapestries. So filled their lives had been.
My angel looked upon me, and nodded for me to rise.
My gaze dropped to the ground in shame. I hadn't had
all the earthly fortunes. I had love in my life,
and laughter. But there had also been trials of
illness, and death, and false accusations that took
from me my world as I knew it. I had to start over
many times. I often struggled with the temptation to
quit, only to somehow muster the strength to pick
up and begin again. I spent many nights on my knees
in prayer, asking for help and guidance in my life.
I had often been held up to ridicule, which I endured
painfully, each time offering it up to the Father in
hopes that I would not melt within my skin beneath
the judgmental gaze of those who unfairly judged me.

And now, I had to face the truth. My life was what
it was, and I had to accept it for what it was. I
rose and slowly lifted the combined squares of my
life to the light. An awe-filled gasp filled the air.
I gazed around at the others who stared at me with
wide eyes. Then, I looked upon the tapestry before me.
Light flooded the many holes, creating an image, the
face of Christ.
Then our Lord stood before me, with warmth and love
in His eyes. He said, "Every time you gave over your
life to Me, it became My life, My hardships, and My
struggles. Each point of light in your life is when
you stepped aside and let Me shine through, until
there was more of Me than there was of you!
May all our quilts be thread bare and worn, allowing Christ to shine through.

~author unknown


No comments:

Post a Comment