Saturday, March 17, 2012

Saturday, March 17, 2012


The readings this day are Genesis 47:27-48:7, 1 Corinthians 10:1-13 and Mark 7:1-23. I’ve chosen to focus on 1 Corinthians 10, verse 13. “No testing has overtaken you that is not common to everyone. God is faithful, and He will not let you be tested beyond your strength, but with the testing he will also provide the way out so that you may be able to endure it”.

I was pleasantly surprised when reading 1st Corinthians that it closed with this verse  that I heard my Grandmother use more than once to help strengthen family or friends in times of crisis or despair. Her version was not exact but it went like this; “God gives us all crosses to bear in life but He will never give us a cross too heavy to carry”.

As in the original verse it reminds me that whatever I might be going through, others have already gone through and endured. This is not to mean, I simply have to buck up. What it means to me is that others have trusted in God and worked through their despair too. I follow their examples believing God will make a way available in order to endure. I think the word endure should not be overlooked. I believe St. Paul used the word endure to make a point.  Endure means to hold out against not triumph over. I try to keep that in mind that sometimes the way out is just enduring and things eventually get better.

Our Christian ancestors' ability to endure allowed Christ’s teachings to spread across the earth. None of us have to bear any burden by ourselves. We have each other and we have God’s love.

(Tom Wilson)



No comments:

Post a Comment