Thursday, March 8, 2012

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Psalms: 70, 71, 74; Jer. 4:9-10, 19-28; Rom. 2: 12-24; John 5:19-29

"Be pleased, O God to deliver me, O lord make haste to help me!" begins psalm 70 and "You are my help and my deliverer, O Lord, do not delay." ends it. 

This is appropriate for this time of year as we await the Resurrection.  I have always wondered why many of the Psalms seem to alternate between cries for help and praise for God.  Psalm 71 asks to be delivered and rescued and for the Lord to be our fortress.  Verses 14 and 15 speak of praising more and more and telling of His righteous acts and deeds of salvation "all day long." 

Lent can be like that, I think;  a time in the desert, but a time not to forget to praise God and thank him for all that he has given us. 

Paul, I think, is chiding us not to be hypocrites.  Do we give something up for Lent because it is the thing to do or is it in our hearts to do it as a sign of the season? 

In the Gospel for today, John reminds us of the what will come at the end of Lent. "Very truly, I tell you, the hour is coming, and is now here, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live."

(Dick Delorme) 

No comments:

Post a Comment